Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Recipe Round-up: Nostalgia on a roll...

I've been feeling a little homesick lately. Okay, a lot homesick. I miss my friends in Madison, I miss all my favorite stores and haunts, too. I know it sounds silly, but I really miss having a Super Target less than a mile from my house. So, I'm feeling homesick for Madison, which, in turn, makes me homesick for New Jersey. Yeah, I said it. Don't judge. I lived there for 24 years. It's my home, my foundation for pretty much everything I know in life--especially food. My ideas on what makes a good pizza, a good bagel, Taylor ham! It all comes from New Jersey and the surrounding area. I managed to find great pizza in Madison, a decent bagel---and no Taylor ham. Here in Cinci, I've found decent pizza, chain bagel shops and Taylor ham (thanks, Jungle Jim's for having a selection so varied!). The one thing that I have yet to find in any of the places I've lived outside of New Jersey (they also include Texas and Florida--neither of which had good pizza or bagels...or the ham) is a Philly Cheesesteak. The soft bread with the crusty outer shell, the warm, greasy, salty meat, the sweet grilled onions...and the cheese, or should I say Cheez? Oh man, my mouth is watering as I type. Like most people who've been to Philly for a true Philly cheesesteak, I have a favorite. I've tried Geno's, Jim's and Tony Luke's as well as a few other smaller places that aren't nearly as well-known or popular. For me though, the undisputed champion of cheesesteaks is Pat's King of Steaks. So delicious, so messy, so bad for you...but oh so good. So what does any of that have to do with today's recipe? Well...years ago, Pat's posted their recipe on their website. It's no longer there that I see, but being the crafty person that I am, I saved and laminated that recipe as soon as I found it. And today, dear readers, I plan to share its deliciously greasy joy with you. Now, let me just say that it won't ever be exactly like Pat's---you'd need their rolls to achieve their version of cheesesteak Nirvana...but it comes dang close.

drooooooool.....

Pat's King of Steaks Cheesesteak

Ingredients:

  • 6 tablespoons oil (Soybean oil is recommended)
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 24 ounces sliced rib eye or eye roll steak
  • Cheez Whiz; American or Provolone
  • 4 crusty Italian Rolls
  • Sweet green and red peppers, sauteed in oil (optional)
  • Mushrooms sauteed in oil (optional)
  • Ketchup
Directions:

Heat an iron skillet or a non-stick pan over medium heat and add 3 tablespoons of oil to the pan and saute the onions to desired doneness. Remove the onions and add the remaining oil and saute the slices of meat quickly on both sides. Melt the cheez whiz in adouble boiler or in the microwave. Place 8 ounces of the meat into the rolls, add onions, and pour the store-processed cheese over top. Garnish with sweet peppers, mushrooms, ketchup.
Put on the theme song to the first Rocky movie and enjoy.

Do yourself a huge favor--try the Cheez Whiz. It's the standard at Pat's, for a reason. If you're ever in Philly--give cheesesteaks a chance, try a few of the places listed here.


No comments: