Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Recipe Round-up: .Disaster Recovery Plans...

We've all had nights when our grand or even not so grand plans wind up in the trash...literally. A couple weeks ago, I had planned to make one of our family's favorite meals; Salsa Chicken. Super easy, relatively quick and very delicious. The trifecta of meal perfection, right? Wrong---my chicken had gone bad. Oh, the humanity!!! I was in a real pinch, we couldn't go out, it wasn't in the budget. What to do, what to do?? I started scouring our pantry and fridge for ingredients for some hodgepodge dish that would be edible, at the very least. JP suggested sandwiches, D suggested french toast. I nixed both ideas initially, I didn't really want either one. Then, while I was looking at what I did have--EUREKA!!!!!! I'd combine the two ideas and make one of my favorite things ever---Monte Cristos! Oh, dear reader, if you've never had one of these marvels, please, toss out tonight's dinner plans and make them. Forget dinner, make them NOW. I promise that you won't regret it. Seriously, who doesn't love ham/turkey and cheese, sweet french toast with powdered sugar and a bit of raspberry jam on the side? See, I told you!


Monte Cristo Sandwiches
Ingredients:
  • 18 slices bread (I used a loaf of brioche I keep in the freezer for french toast)

  • slices cooked turkey

  • slices cooked ham

  • slices American cheese

  • slices Swiss cheese



  • Batter

  • 1 Egg
    1 – 1 1/4 C. Water
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    1 tsp. Sugar
    1 1/2 C. Flour
    1 Tbs. Baking Powder
    Vegetable Oil (for deep frying)
    Directions
    Place turkey and Swiss cheese on one slice of bread and ham and American cheese on another slice of bread. Place third slice in-between and secure the triple decker sandwich in the corners with tooth picks.
    Place egg in mixing bowl, add water and beat together. Add salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder. Beat batter until smooth.
    Dip sandwich in batter and carefully cover all the sides and surface. Carefully place in hot oil and fry until golden. When sandwich has turned a warm gold color remove from hot oil and place on paper towel. Let cool for a few minutes before removing the tooth picks. Before serving slice into fourths and sprinkle with powder sugar.
    Serve with raspberry preserves.
    Enjoy!!









  • No comments: