Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hybrid Mini Bag!!!

Happy Wednesday everyone! Jen (redutedaisy) here to bring you another fun hybrid project! I really love hybrid and have become pretty good at creating cards, favors, etc. But there is one thing I hadn't yet tackled-iron on transfers! I guess I was intimidated. Last week, while walking around Michaels trying to find something to make for Mother's Day, I happened on some tote bags and the fabric transfers. I decided it was time to try my hand at it, and I loved that I could go home and create something myself that could be worn/displayed. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures (I was in too big of a rush), but I decided to do another project that I'm going to show you today.

Michaels has these canvas totes that I thought it would make the perfect bag for taking to church with me. The first thing I did was create my image. I wanted a cluster with some pictures and a quote, so I found my favorite cluster on a template and used that. It was much faster, otherwise it would have taken hours (I'm a perfectionist). Templates make great starting off points, and many have some great clustering! I used Christy's "Summer Brunch" kit-I love the colors and textures.

The tools: an iron, pillowcase, and iron-on transfer sheets
(I used the light fabric transfer sheets because my tote is white)

Be sure to follow the directions on the transfer sheets well. They actually change from one product (the light fabric) to the other (dark fabric). I used the dark fabric on my mother's day totes and the process was different from this one. The image actually came out better on the dark fabric image for some reason. Anyway, here's the final result after printing the image onto the transfer sheet and ironing:



The finished product. For my first time, I was pretty happy with how it turned out. The image didn't come off completely, but it ended up giving it a rustic look. I think I got a little impatient and didn't wait long enough or apply enough pressure! Next time, it will be even better! The sky is limit with these things, and with a good digital stash, you can create a ton of great images!

No comments: